Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Striking a balance

I love love love the greys, whites, and neutrals that are gracing the blogs of today, and stores like Duh. Perfect example to the right. I think everyone can tell.... I also have a little shabby chic, French country, Hampton, and Southern traditional style in me....and, I keep finding myself leaning towards the neutrals and whites. But, I have recently realized that I am somewhere in between all of these in terms of my design aesthetic --- all neutrals can sometimes be TOO stark and dull!

A great post by Rhoda at Southern Hospitality perfectly describes this struggle to find a balance between the blogworld house envy and one's personal style. While my style is a bit more contemporary than hers is, I identify with everything she said!

For example, I find this room, from Traditional Home this month, a bit too muted and matchy-matchy for me, even though I like each component in it individually and its color palate (love celadon!). It is missing pizzazz or something!! Later in the issue I found this home from California. I think... this is a perfect match for my style (at least for now)! It finds the perfect balance between antiqued greys and whites and hardwoods, pops of color, without looking "decorated" or modern. Maybe is this "transitional" design aesthetic? I need to get myself an interior decorator and a dictionary! Nice, but too neutral??
House and Home
Just right??
Per HGTV:

Transitional style is a marriage of traditional and contemporary furniture, finishes, materials and fabrics equating to a classic, timeless design. Furniture lines are simple yet sophisticated featuring either straight lines or rounded profiles. Fabric can range from graphic patterns on overstuffed sofas to textured chenilles on sleek wood frames.

Colors - This transitional palette relies on a lack of color to evoke a clean, serene atmosphere. Dark brown adds depth to the neutral balance of taupe, tan and vanillaAccessories - A minimalist approach is taken with carefully-selected accessories.

Fabrics - The lack of color makes room for interesting textures, like the olive-colored corduroy found on the sofa and a smooth creamy white cotton used on two of the side chairs.

Furniture - Curves combine with straight lines in a transitional-style interior. The look balances both masculine and feminine attributes for a comfortably contemporary design. The scale of the pieces is ample but not intimidating. A lack of ornamentation and decoration keeps the focus on the simplicity but sophistication of the design.

Perfect example of what I love: Cote De Texas blog post from 2009-10, featuring a house designed by Sally Wheat (also the first picture).

Cote de Texas also hit my soft spot recently with the post on grey wicker - my new favorite. I only have one piece of it, seen in an earlier post in the first picture as the cylinder. I got this in Memphis with Cover.

{Coming up post - the transformation of another piece of wicker that I painted a dove-grey}

Last weekend, went to Architectural Heritage in downtown Birmingham, and snagged these two balustrades circa 1890 from southern England
Again - grey... I love, but have yet to decide what to do with them. I am thinking about putting them in the hall here instead of the pictures - saving these black frames for future use...
Just a little glimpse of the house and my style as it is currently manifesting itself!

{Also coming up - a table transformation inspired by DUH and some tables I've seen at stores around town...}

2 comments:

  1. Your house is looking fab!!! And I couldn't agree more... as much as I love Duh, I have to have some pops of color and transitional vibe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your house is looking oh so duhish!Lovin it!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
20 something year old anesthesia resident in Birmingham, recent transport from Chapel Hill.

work in progress...

Thankfully - we were able to rig the deck without major work done, and we added a beautiful doggie-door that Piper just loves running through!!

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP